What if it’s my dreams? My deepest, dearest earthly desires? My self-authored life-path? Myself?
Because somehow, somehow, I’m getting that idea…
because He sends these messages that say,
You long for what will please you, but where do fights come from? Do they not arise from desires that war within? Don’t you know this desiring is friendship with the world, which is enmity with God? (James 4:1-3)
In view of God’s mercies, present your body as a living sacrifice. It’s only reasonable (Rom 12:1-2).
Take up your cross daily and follow me (Lk 9:22-24).
For you have died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God (Col 3:3)…
and because He raises up these messengers, witnesses who exemplify such giving-up…
She put into the treasury all she had (Mar 12:41-44).
He said, “See, we’ve left all to follow you” (Mar 10:28).
(Another) he said, “I am crucified with Christ…” (Gal 2:20). “I have suffered the loss of all things and count them but rubbish, that I may gain Christ…” (Phil 3:8).
And there are others… (Heb 11:24-26,36-39)
To catch a monkey, I once read, hang a fat bottle from a jungle tree. Fill it with goodies monkeys love. Leave it hanging and just step back and out of sight and watch him catch himself.
He sees the goodies. He wants the goodies. He pushes in his hand to grab the goodies, works it down through the narrow neck. He grabs a nice big fistful, then tries to pull his hand back out. It won’t fit through the needle’s eye opening—but he won’t loosen his useless clutching. He just. can’t. let. go.
I wonder, though, if little Mr. Monkey spotted a better goody, high up in the tree, he might then be able… Might let go, be free.
The giving-up isn’t for sheer suffering, but to reach toward higher, better things.
Looking high today, to the tree [listen].
Looking toward Jesus, the Author and Finisher of my faith, for…
REASONS TO PRAISE HIM:
(Reasons #684 – 703, from Hebrews 4 & Hebrews 5)
- Because He is the Apostle and High Priest of our Confession.
- Because He was faithful to Him Who appointed Him, as Moses was faithful in all His house.
- Because He has been counted worthy of more glory than Moses, for He who built the house has more honor than the House
- Because He was a Son over His own house, and not just a servant like Moses.
- Because we are His house if we hold fast confidence in Him.
- Because we have been granted to be partakers of Him if we hold fast that confidence
- Because He is the living God from whom we must beware of departing.
- Because His promise remains that we who have believed may enter His rest
- Because whoever has entered His rest has ceased from his/her own works.
- Because there is no creature hidden from His sight.
- Because all things are nakedly revealed to His eyes.
- Because it’s Him to Whom we must give account.
- Because He’s not a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses because He was tested in all ways that we are.
- Because He nevertheless remained without sin.
- Because He has enabled us who believe to come confidently before His throne of grace.
- Because in Him we can find grace and help in time of need
- Because in the days of His fleshly life He offered up prayers and supplications with vehement cries and tears
- Because when He offered up prayers and supplications to the Father, He was heard because of His godly fear.
- Because although He was a Son, He still learned obedience by the things He suffered.
- Because, having been perfected, He became the Author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him.