Here I am, getting ready to drive out for the day. I mean busy-highway drive, following printed directions to find someone’s house, the whole bit!
If you read here regularly you know I thought I’d never do this again, because of deteriorating eyesight, but if you’ve stopped by here lately you also know something weird and wonderful has happened to my eyes.
I’m seeing better now than I have for years. How this happened is a mystery! (But God works mysteries, now, doesn’t He?)
So, I’m drawn this morning to Isaiah. I’ve been reading and meditating lately in the sixth chapter of this wonderful book that I think could be called “Behold Your God!” And right now the 42nd chapter also speaks personal meaning for me. So, here today are reasons I see in those two beloved chapters,
REASONS TO PRAISE HIM
FROM ISAIAH 6
- 521 – Because even the mighty seraphim cry to one another, “Holy, holy, holy is the LORD God of Hosts.”
- 522 – Because they declare, “The whole earth is full of His glory!”
- 523 – Because even such a man as Isaiah the prophet, when come “face to face” with Him, could only cry, “Woe is me, for I am undone!” seeing so starkly the uncleanness of his lips, and the lips of his people.
- 524 – Because seeing “the King, the LORD of hosts” is so utterly leveling.
- 525 – Because He, the LORD, touches lips, taking away iniquity and purging away sin.
- 526 – Because God calls those He would send
- 527 – Because He gives words to say, even though few people will receive them
- 528 – Because when He removed His people far away from His land, He kept a portion of them, as a stump — and “the holy seed its stump.”
FROM ISAIAH 42
- 529 – Because of His promise to uphold his servant, his elect one in whom His soul would delight, to put His Spirit upon him and uphold him
- 530 – Because of His promise to bring forth justice to the Gentiles, the nations
- 531 – Because a bruised reed He will not break, and smoking flax He will not quench
- 532 – Because He will bring forth justice for truth.
- 533 – Because He will not fail nor be discouraged, till He has established justice in the earth
- 534 – Because He is God the LORD, Who created the heavens and stretched them out
- 535 – Because He is the One Who spread forth the earth and that which comes from it
- 536 – Because He gives breath to the people on it, and spirit to those who walk on it:
- 537 – Because He calls His servant in righteousness, holds his hand, and keeps Him
- 538 – Because He gives Him as a covenant to the people, as a light to the Gentiles,
- 539 – Because He opens blind eyes
- 540 – Because He brings out prisoners from the prison
- 541 – Because He brings out those who sit in darkness from the prison house into the Light.
- 542 – Because the LORD [YHWH, JEHOVAH, I AM THAT I AM] is His name
- 543 – Because His glory He will not give to another, nor His praise to carved images.
- 544 – Because He declares new things before they spring forth.
- 545 – Because He calls us to sing to Him a new song
- 546 – Because He calls us to sing His praise from the ends of the earth
- 547 – Because He calls the wilderness and its cities to lift up their voice and sing
- 548 – Because He calls for His praise to be shouted from the tops of the mountains.
- 549 – Because He calls for the coastlands too to give glory to the LORD
- 550 – Because He promised that He would go forth like a mighty man and stir up [His] zeal like a man of war and prevail against His enemies.
- 551 – Because He will lay waste mountains and hills, and dry up all their vegetation will make the rivers coastlands, and dry up the pools…
- 552 – Because He will bring the blind by a way they did not know, and lead them in paths they haven’t known.
- 553 – Because He will make darkness light before them, and crooked places straight. Because He will do these things for them and not forsake them.
- 554 – Because those who trust in idols shall be turned back, shall be greatly ashamed, who say to the molded images, ‘You [are] our gods.’
- 555 – Because He will exalt the law and make it honorable.
- 556 – Because the blindness that He most grieves is spiritual blindness, saying, “Hear, you deaf; And look, you blind, that you may see… Seeing many things, you do not observe, and opening the ears, do not hear… Who among you will give ear to this, will listen and hear for the time to come?”